Friday, December 24, 2010

Taking a mulligan on WMBL (Part I)

I've never been big on New Year's resolutions, because most of them have the lifespan of a mayfly. But I do believe it is a good idea to occasionally pause the headlong rush toward an eternal dirtnap and reflect on your personal state of being.

On a very regular basis, the motorists of Arlington and its surrounding environs operate their vehicles in a manner that is likely to cause me grievous bodily harm as I run (or drive). I take great offense at the more egregious threats, and don't hesitate to share my thoughts in some very colorful terms. After doing so, I often wind up feeling like as big a jerk as the NASCAR wannabe trying to turn me into a new hood ornament.

I decided to make a pre-New Year's commitment to Wag More & Bark Less, in my travels on foot or behind the wheel. It lasted about a day, but I think it's a worthy goal so I'm going to take a mulligan and see if I can 't make it stick for two or more days (give me strength Spaghetti Monster, give me strength...)

The kindling was an event on my morning walk with Chui. Yes, in the urban jungle your fellow man can tick you off on a ten minute trip around the block at 6:15 in the morning. I was at a major signaled intersection where I normally wait for a walk light. I was running a bit behind schedule, and was sizing up the opportunity to cross before the walk signal. An older model Subaru wagon was coming down the hill toward Chui and I, at an agonizingly slow pace. Somebody's lost...

When the Subaru finally made it to where I was standing, a white haired nana seemed to be trying to get the passenger window down, but she was too flustered to do it. I tried the door handle, and found it unlocked.

"Oh thank you...I'm looking for Woodland Street...I'm the lost mother in-law..."

I'm terribly sorry, I'm not familiar with the street...

"It's near the park" she said hopefully.

Oh boy. If Arlington has anything, it's parks. I rattled off a couple, and on number three I hit a homerun with Menotomy Rocks Park. Just to be sure, I asked if it was off of Jason Street.

"Yes it is" said nana, and her face showed great relief and hope for the first time.

That's when WMBL was subjected to its first test. The b*tch with the $300 Newbury Street haircut in the shiny new SUV leans on her horn for all she's worth.

I check the intersection, there is nana's beat up Subaru, the SUV with a very special human at the wheel, me and my dog. Are you sh*tting me? My first instinct is to go nuclear and tell her to go the f*** around, but I generally have an excellent profanity filter around seniors and kids and thankfully it kicked in. But I'm definitely thinking "who the hell do you think you are?"

The hope and relief has now left nana's face, and she's flustered again.

"I should go...I'm messing things up..."

No. Just pull over, she can go around.

I gave nana directions with simple landmarks, and thankfully Jason Street is another signalled intersection right on Mass. Ave. The look of relief and hope returned, and she seemed very confident that once she got into the right neighborhood she would be all set.

Score one for WMBL. The victory would be short lived however...

1 comment:

Jason Bui said...

Woof! Woof! I know Jason St well.

BTW, the toilet is clogged in the bathroom. Sorry.